Thursday, June 18, 2009

Faith of Our Fathers: James Pomeroy

At age 33, I have learned through countless Bible studies that the way one relates to and perceives God is strongly based on the perception of one's earthly father. My father raised 2 kids of his own & then adopted my brother & me well after they were grown. And he did it without a wife. She passed away just after we moved in with them when I was in grade school. But he persevered alone & he did an awesome job of demonstrating God's love, patience, discipline & understanding to my brother & me. We were brought up in the church, learned to respect others, value an education & think for ourselves. We are still close today & our mild-tempered, playful personalities are sometimes admired by others. But I know that had less to do with us in our own strength & more in how God used this man to bring us up, this man who did not have to! And I know that my ability to have a healthy relationship with my heavenly father today is because I was adopted into the Pomeroy family before I was adopted into the family of God. Now well into his 70's, he is still there for us whenever we need him, he is at his grandchildren's ballgames & events, and he still runs his own business! He is my inspiration & I thank God for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment