Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Memories of Mom: Brenda Coffey

When my brother and I were growing up, my mom read the Bible to us every night. Sometimes she would let us pick a verse (my brother would always choose "Jesus wept," so it would be quick :-), but mostly, she would just open the Bible and read random scriptures. Of course, as a child, I didn't realize the significance of her bed-time ritual, but as I've gotten older, I really appreciate her taking the time to read the Bible to us. Our family life was not always rosy, but she didn't let that hinder her. Growing up, our family were not faithful churchgoers, but my mom was raised in a faithful Christian home and she knew no matter what that God's Word was true and worth taking the time to teach her children. As a teenager, one of my friends told my mom that the memory that stuck out to her when she spent the night at my house was my mom reading the Bible to us. It really touched my mom. In my life now and in my own family, the seeds she planted have really bloomed. I am thankful for those special times! - Brandi Derrick

No comments:

Post a Comment