Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Memories of Mom: JoAnn Turner

When I was younger, my mom wrapped her "beehive" with toilet paper! Honestly! This was to keep it in place as she slept. This was a "private" family matter. Well, I should say it "was" a private family matter. We lived in the country and my sister and I rode the schoolbus to school. For several days, the schoolbus driver had failed to stop in front of our house for us to board on our side of the road. His failure to do so caused my sister and I to cross the road and board from the other side. My mother was quite upset about her "babies" crossing the road (we were 13 and 16 at the time). LOL! My sister and I had called this oversight to our driver's attention on more than one occasion. All the while, my mother had remained silent. Well, one cold morning, my sweet mom had enough. She barreled out of the house to kindly ask the driver to please stop and allow us to safely board on our side of the road. Yes, you guessed right. My "Mom" had "toilet paper" adorning her beehive! Every child on that bus was consumed with laughter. In fact, I don't know how the driver kept a straight face. You can't imagine how many times I have relived that moment in my life. I knew that it was with love and concern that my mother did this for us. She cared more about her children than any ridicule or finger pointing or laughter she may have received. She didn't want her children in harm's way. Sound familiar? - Marisa Sitton

No comments:

Post a Comment